Warm and Toasty Chicken Tortilla Soup
I LOVE chicken tortilla soup! It’s one of my favorites because it’s quick, it’s super easy and it’s chalked full of goodness. All in one neat little soup you get protein, good fats, lots of veggies, and warm tasty goodness.
This recipe can be thrown together in about ten minutes and left to simmer for the day in your slow cooker, or on your stove top (if you are home to supervise).
How do I make it?
Well, that’s the fun and easy part!
Prep your veggies to save you some time and if you want to make homemade tortilla strips you can, or you can buy them premade at the store. The health freak in me always wants to make them fresh, but the mom of 4 kids sometimes has to do what she has to do (this is a judgment-free zone!) I’m just proud of you for cooking.
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 15.8 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes with chili
- 3 cups of chicken (or veggie broth)
- 14.5 oz can of black beans
- 14.5 oz can of corn (drained)
- 2 Chicken breast (or you can use tofu or leave out if you are vegetarian)
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped (I use a LOT of cilantro because I love it and it’s so good for you)
- 2 limes (see above)
- 2 avocados (see above, I LOVE avocado and so does my family!)
- Optional – Cheese or Sour Cream
For your Homemade (you are a badass for making them from scratch) Tortilla Stips
- 6 – 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (I use avocado oil because it has a higher heat threshold for frying than EVOO
Now here we go…
- Salute up the jalapeño and onion (I take the seeds out because my family is
wimpyabout hot food) and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add everything else (except the cilantro, lime, and avocado) to a pan and simmer
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it and easily shred it with a fork
- Put the chicken back in and let simmer as long as you want (but 20 minutes will work)
- Serve it with the tortilla strips, avocado, cilantro, lime wedges, and optional cheese or even sour cream (don’t get fat free, it’s a chemical crap storm for your body).
For the tortilla strips, just pan fry them in the oil and salt for about a minute on each side.
Come join our Quest Wellness program. We have everything you need to live your best life in one spot! Quest and it’s seven coaches will cover workouts, nutrition, meal plans, yoga, meditation, and so much more!
Stop jumping from diet to diet and start living a Fit Life!!https://onefitwidow.com/my1fitlife-quest-wellness-program/